Glamorouse

Friday, November 11, 2005

Something I can't get out of my head (sub title: Another post to try and ignore Bec's riddle one as well, riddles make me feel very very stupid.)

My favourite book as a child was any of the Berenstain Bears books, in particular the scout/camping one and the one when they go on holidays and Father Bear goes surfing but the most favourite of all, that I made mum read over and over agan was Epaminondas by Sara Cone Bryant. I can only imagine the moral/ethical/racist hornet's nest this stirs up, but none of that ever mattered to me as a child. I was completely enthralled by the notion this boy carried butter, wrapped in leaves, on his head under his hat. And (naturally) yearned to do the same. After that my favourites became The Magic FarAway Tree and Milly Molly Mandy (oh how I wanted that bob haircut). After that came the Anne of Green Gables books, Pippy Longstocking, The Borrowers and staight into Nancy Drew. I guess the writing was on the wall - that it really was only a matter of time before the Sweet Valley High affliction gripped me. . . after that it was the classics (Heathcliff! Heathcliff!) all the way.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

Crikey, Kim, no wonder we ended up blogging together. How many other little Australian girls are there left in the world who know about Epaminondas and the butter on his head? Did you also have the story of Ping, the tardy chinese duckling? How about the old man with the bowl of junket?
Geez. Amazing.
Still, you Must Apply Yourself To The Riddle!!

11/11/2005 09:37:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

REALLY? You know what I'm talking about? See, that's just destiny.
Ignoring ignoring ignoring.

11/11/2005 09:41:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

See, think about this, if you know about Epaminondas. And the Butter. And Milly Molly Mandy (I had a pony named after her, plus, check out the Pea Princess' hairdo, hmm?) AND if you were into Nancy Drew... you can at least TRY the riddle.
One can only tell the truth, the other can only tell a lie, you have to ask one of them which way to go: what is your question?

11/11/2005 09:47:00 pm  
Blogger Aginoth said...

Hi Bec and Kim,

Thanks for popping by my blog earlier :o)

Michelle sent me

11/11/2005 09:51:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

See, even you being helpful, holding my hand through the riddle, spelling it out to me - is.a.riddle.
my brain does not function on any riddle level. Ever. Really, I'm not making it up.

11/11/2005 10:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home