Glamorouse

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

three weeks ago today, right now

I had a 50 minute old baby. I was laying on a bed soaked in blood, amniotic fluid and god knows everything else the kid was hiding up there. That means, the last three weeks have been pretty darn unusual from the previous, oh, bazillion. In those 21 days I have: - bled quite impressively - had stitches and hurt in places you should never ever have stiches or hurt - watched my ample bosom become the baby equivalent to a buffet at an over-eaters convention - seen a side to my husband and children than warms me to the very core of my soul - felt myself sliding into the abyss only to see me pull myself out - become empowered in the world of sleep and how to get a baby to see it as a good idea (I know this won't last so am basking in it while it does) - dropped and occassionally broken lots of plates, bowls, cups - made inumerable cups of tea that I then never got to drink - drunk around 3 to 5 litres of water a day. Even writing that makes me marvel at my ability to down so much liquid - returned to the world where doing a wee involves more than a teaspoon amount and actually brings a sense of relief - grown the hairiest legs and other bits known in the Western world. Even I am getting a little turned off by them - become very tardy in actually shampooing and conditioning my hair. Showering, no problem, but the shampoo thing just seems so overated at the moment. I've blow dried it twice. In three weeks. - looked at my mobile phone about three times. Today I checked my voicemail. There were 17 missed calls and 10 voicemail messages. - returned about two calls of a hundred received. For this I am very sorry to all my family and friends. - done at least one load of washing every day. Most days there are two, some days about 7. I l.o.v.e. my front loading washing mashine. - developed an inexplicable love of ice cream and Ice Magic. I don't eat ice cream. It's not my thing. I'm a savoury girl. Give me chips, give me Doritos and I'll eat my body weight. Ice cream doesn't do it for me. So why I'm having a bowl of ice cream every night with Chocolate Ice Magic is beyond me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

1. this is why i've stopped calling your mobile.
2. i'm honoured to be one of the returned calls.
3. you're a bloody legend, luv.
4. if you need the Ice Magic, take the Ice Magic. Blame it on the hormones!

11/09/2005 09:09:00 pm  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I love this! It reminds me of the weeks after I'd had Baby. Enjoy it, because all too soon, you'll have no excuse for not returning calls or shaving!

11/10/2005 01:08:00 am  
Blogger Suse said...

Blame it on the lactation, the lactation, the lactation, ... I'm tring to think of the tune that this goes to.

But I suppose that is, in fact, a moot point. And all that.

11/11/2005 08:17:00 pm  
Blogger WendyWings said...

Michele sent me, congratulations on the new addition.
I burned out the kettle twice in the first few weeks of having a newborn. Hello put water in FIRST :)

11/11/2005 09:02:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home