Glamorouse

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Achievements of sorts

1. Its 6.45 and I'm posting on the internet. What a marvel of inattentive parenting I am. The reason this is possible is a) my mother lives upstairs and has just read my children into quietness, b) it meant I could clean up from dinner without issue and 2. (see below) 2. One of the reasons - actually the main reason next to the lacksleep issue - for my decline in the last three days in terms of confidence and the joy of the miracle that is a newborn (stop laughing Bec) is that I've realised the little man has a humoungous feed, then is awake for like, anywhere up to an hour and a half (I know I know, he's two and a half weeks old and should be sleeping, but the kid, he's interested in the world and no, there are no jerky movements, tight fists or whinging during this time telling me he's tired) but then, when he is tired, tricks me into thinking he's hungry again by headbutting my chest/head/arm/nose with an open mouth and a grunting noise similar to a baby bird begging for a regurgitated worm. I've been falling for this masterly act of deception as well, normally it ends up being about 2 hours since he had his feed and well, the child is a giant so two hourly feeds aren't that weird or rare and the rage, the RAGE if a nipple with spurting milk isn't presented instantly. But then of course, he feeds for abut 5-10 minutes and falls asleep. So tonight - I cooked on through the crying (for oh, 2 minutes if that), picked him up, and then as the eyes started to close put him back, endured more crying but then - after about 40 seconds, the child, the baby - he fell asleep. Where he still is. Sleeping. I know, its only once. I know I do not own the willpower to let my not-even-three-week-old baby do this every time he's tired, I have two other children - the first was rocked, patted and sung to sleep and still likes to be, the second you had to lie down and sing Beatles songs - now he just needs to Beatles songs, but also could scream for up to four hours in any control crying scenario (don't anyone say I don't have willpower) so really, I don't have a good track record, but I had to share this victory of sorts with someone...

5 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

I am impressed you can find the time to blog. Congratulations on the new arrival. Michele sent me.

11/03/2005 10:41:00 pm  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Hang in there, Kim! You'll get through it. The first few weeks were the worst for me. I cried every night around at around 9 in anticipation of the nursing to come.

Anyway, I feel for you!

11/04/2005 04:49:00 am  
Blogger Suse said...

I am totally in awe of you that you not only blog on two (or is it three?) blogs, but leave comments on other peoples', and play games at Michele's.

I am seriously impressed.

PS. Do you read Soulemama, and Nikki-Shell? They both have brand new babies too. (You know, just in case you don't have enough screaming, breastfeeding, nappies and sleep deprivation at your own place).

11/04/2005 11:23:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Thanks Suse - Amalah also has a new baby - her first, its not only hilarious but makes me sooo relieved this one isn't my first - bah, all that grief!

You can not talk Ms pristine home (at least those washing piles are clean)and one-who-does-craft-sewing-type things.

11/05/2005 07:56:00 am  
Blogger Olyal said...

I say, if it works, do it!!! Do whatever it takes to keep you and your bubby sane. Good luck with it all.
Michele sent me to visit Bec but I have visited Bec's post above 3 times so i thought I'd pop in here instead.
Cheers!

11/07/2005 11:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home