Glamorouse

Monday, November 07, 2005

When all else fails...

BAKE. When the not-yet-three-week-old needs to be "retaught" how to go to sleep in a cot (as opposed to on me) . When there is about 5 loads of washing to be done but an overcast day outside. When two children wet the bed overnight. When your breasts.just.ache. When you think you've stopped bleeding to discover - with quite a surge - that you haven't. When your child decides all of sudden to wipe his own bottom, but wipes only once, and really, needs to wipe about 10 times... When there are bills to pay and groceries to buy, but no time, energy or money to do either. When you find out 'the baby' has put on over 800 grams in a fortnight, and the goal was about 300. So reassuring to know I've bred another over-achiever. When the baby is covered in a hormone rash and you think, "oh well, at least it gets him used to acne early on". When you fall asleep sitting up, watching tele, breastfeeding at 4am to wake up half an hour later with a baby asleep with nipple half hanging out his mouth and breastmilk dripping onto the lounge. the only thing to do is bake. Today's effort - white choc and macadamia nut cookies:

(the baking tray was Mum's and I believe, was a wedding present to her and dad. If not that old, it still pre-dates me...)

6 Comments:

Blogger melinama said...

Hey, Michele sent me. I have a great cookie recipe today for rugelach... and don't worry about all that stuff - it will pass ...

11/07/2005 01:30:00 pm  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

greetings, michelle says hello. i sure can relate to this. i am not a big baker, but you could sure post that cookie reciepe. they look good. i have yet to find an outlet for when my domestic bliss becomes overwhelming. i need one!

11/07/2005 01:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele sent me.

I understand that sometimes ou must bake. For me, it is chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why, but they get the job done.

Congratulations on the new baby. I wish we had more than one! You're a lucky woman (even if you don't feel it right now)

11/07/2005 01:40:00 pm  
Blogger dena said...

Thos are my favorite cookies! And yes, baking those cookies sounds like the perfect activity for that kind of day.

11/07/2005 01:57:00 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

Aaah, baking as procrastination. I'm quite good at that. Got an essay to write? Um, I'll just make a batch of muffins first. Tax to do? Time to bake a cake. Work to complete? Where's that slice recipe?

And I canNOT believe the comment you just left on my blog re the food on Sunday. And the lemon butter. With a newborn. I know I keep saying that, but REALLY, woman. You are manic. And I think I love you. (Although not in a creepy blog-stalking way, mind).

11/07/2005 05:09:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Oh no, don't get me wrong, the listing thing, of reasons to bake - is not all bad. Really, I am of good mind. And the bad things - I know they will pass/are just a phase/will not kill me etc. And really, I look at my three special little guys and know how blessed I am.
Suse - yes, I have two assignments to do for uni that are really due tomorrow - are they done? one sort of, one not. Hmmm...
The lemon butter/lemon baking time was a few weeks back when the incubus was still inside - so not too manic.

11/07/2005 07:44:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home