Glamorouse

Monday, May 22, 2006

Goodbye grungy inner city, hello Wisteria Lane

We bought this today: Its name is Waltham (on an original brass plate, can you hear me squeal like a girl?). It means, in Ye Olde English: Forest Homestead. Take a close look at the greenery. Don't you just love irony? It is a 1920s not-quite-bungalow in a suburb only two galaxies away from this one. A suburb with Many Trees, and Parks, and Safe Footpaths upon which children may ride their bicycles. Unlike this suburb, that one has a wide range of high schools from which Pea Princess, Gorgeous Boy and Sparkle Twin may choose. The house has ducted air conditioning, a new and very beautiful renovation of Everything, including a new bathroom new kitchen and big living area. Two of the three bedrooms have built-in wardrobes (can you tell I have been in the land of real estate copywriting for WAY too long?) and the third has a working fireplace and beautiful window seat. The new house is on a very large block (room for a pool!) and has ample space for extending into the roof for the fourth bedroom/2nd bathroom. I make myself feel ever so slightly ill with how pleased we are to get this place. Mind, I think we are more happy with the new place because of the tiny quarters in which we are currently living with our THREE children, ONE dog, TWO cats, FOUR fish and assorted bikes, books and laptops. People who've always lived in the 'burbs probably don't like the slightly narrow nature of this place. They probably don't like that there are neighbours quite so close on each side. They might not like that more than four (but less than 20) cars per hour go by that house. They should spend a week or two in my house next door to the junkie drummer. Things I am not looking forward to:
  • finding out how much junk we have managed to hide (and therefore have to scrap, sell or move) even in this tiny house
  • leaving my truly enormous magical Tardis pantry
  • finishing off all the jobs we couldn't do for us, but we have to do now so we can have this house clear for a tenant (yes, we're about to become property moguls; freaky, hmmm?)
  • leaving the Greek adopted-grandmamas down our street who have looked after us and our children here for nearly four years
  • facing up to the shocking proximity of a seven figure mortgage over both properties: it's for the children, I keep telling myself, it's for the long, long term...

Things I am looking forward to:

  • SPACE, SPACE, SPACE!!
  • the Prof's joy at being back on his home turf (he grew up a few blocks from here)
  • A big block with virtually no plants: heritage gardening, here I come
  • WINDOWS (as opposed to skylights)
  • the smell of mown grass
  • Installing a truly enormous, magical Tardis pantry
  • Having a humungous house warming party, just because we can.

mtc

bec

16 Comments:

Blogger KPB said...

as you already know, I am so very very TOTALLY and UTTERLY thrilled for you. I classify it as NOTHING short of a fucking miracle (and yes, the swear word is necessary) you have survived with ANY level of sanity in your gorgeously cute but impressively tiny semi for as long as you have.
BRING IT ON.

5/22/2006 09:32:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

Bless you, and also my middle brother, for so tactfully yet directly pointing out the miracle of loaves and fishes we've been pulling off here.

We are SO in each others' faces here, the past couple of months especially. It is worth the cost, and the change of suburb, to give us our SPACE!

5/22/2006 10:13:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Welcome to my world of the phrase, uttered at least eleventy-million times a day of:
TAKE IT OUTSIDE.

5/22/2006 10:21:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

so glad you're back!

ps, apologies fir the vast gap between pic and remaining text: it's one of those fucked blogger things that refuses to be fixed.

5/22/2006 10:27:00 pm  
Blogger blackbird said...

I think it looks wonderful and am thrilled for you -
but I do wish I knew what a Tardis pantry was.

5/22/2006 10:31:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

Did you have a deprived childhood, Blackbird? Did you not watch Dr Who get into his Tardis that was only the size of a phone box on the outside but encompassed half a galaxy on the inside??

5/22/2006 10:35:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Waltham is almost like The Waltons which you know, you almost replicate.

Almost.

5/22/2006 10:43:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

You are now charged with finding us an abode. One that doesn't require a deposit, is an actual stand-alone house, and will fit all of us in it. With manageable repayments. That is in Sydney.

Yeah, stop it, my sides are hurting.

5/22/2006 10:44:00 pm  
Blogger Jess said...

It's beautiful. Congratulations!

5/22/2006 10:52:00 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Ooo! Congrats!

I DO know what a Tardis is, and I very much want a Tardis pantry now.

5/23/2006 03:46:00 am  
Blogger Lynne@Oberon said...

Congratulations!! it's a beautiful looking house.
I am a real estate FREAK... I read all the Domain ads every weekend and can barely resist visiting open houses every weekend. A real estate agent friend of ours has been telling us for a year to buy and investment property cause the prices are good, etc ... but we haven't. Maybe now (that I obviously have to keep up with you) we will ;)

5/23/2006 12:27:00 pm  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

Please, if it would not cause the universe to implode, tell us how to build a Tardis pantry. I so want one.

Congratulations, too -- the house looks utterly charming!

5/23/2006 03:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what a Tardis pantry is but you are making me want one. I can see the character in this house. Welcome home!

5/24/2006 03:18:00 am  
Blogger Suse said...

I am so with you (I have a Tardis pantry too and it has transformed my life).

Congratulations.

PS. Kim - wv is queism!

5/24/2006 10:27:00 am  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

veerrrrryyyyy nice.

sign me up for the build-your-own-Tardis-pantry also. thx.

5/24/2006 10:43:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to catch my breath from that phrase 'seven figure...' I may need a paper bag. Gasp! How wonderful, though, to find such a fabulous home. And now I shall have to google Tardis pantry, because I may very well want one too.

5/30/2006 01:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home