Glamorouse

Monday, November 14, 2005

Feeling bad...the opposite of ebullient, which was yesterday's Word Of The Day...

Firstly, I feel I should apologise to Bec. This realm is as much hers as it is mine and therefore, she should be allowed to come over all nerdy and riddle-ridden here if the mood so takes her. Even if while she's all "oh goody, a challenge" the rest of us are stricken "oh God I am as stupid as I thought I was". Secondly, the title is a confession that I can too be a nerd (if the fact I have a need to be liked and simply didn't get into trouble at school, except by Mrs Dunlop in Year 11 Geology when Sarah and I finally cracked under all the pressure of the 'this is going towards your HSC which - if you don't do well - will end.your.life.as.you.know.it.' mentality that our school bathed in. Seriously, we were primed for it from 6th grade. I remember one teacher going ashen when I mentioned I might like to be a chef - the only thing worse than a girl not doing her HSC would be a girl going on to study a T.R.A.D.E. - anyway - we got in trouble and were separated and told 'never to sit next to each other again' which I recall lasted about three lessons) and subscribe to things such as a word of the day kind of email. Recent words I've liked include: ebullient - which sounds a lot like effluent, and really, that just appeals to my puerile sense of humour puissant - see comment about sense of humour above. nosegay - which despite what you may think actually means a bunch of odorous showy flowers. But here's my question - what is a showy flower - I know there are people out there, sad, lonely people who think a carnation (the 1960s redbrick suburban house of flowers) is showy. subfusc - again see comment about sense of humour. (it means dark or dull in colour and henceforth any post by me about a poor frame of mind will be headed as such...) susurrus - which means a whispering or rustling sound, and well, I have a soft spot for words that sound like what they mean. This morning, Oscar had an orientation session at the school he's going to next year in a mainstream class. Oh, to see his excitement and happiness and involvement in that classroom! Oh, to hear the teachers say how lovely he is (and express their surprise/relief that 'there's no behaviour problems', as if every special needs child has behaviour issues - but I'm not mounting that high horse today...) it's V.E.R.Y. exciting indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

Didn't Monty Python have a song about the joys of onomatopoeia? And if they didn't, they should have.

I used to put a word of the day at the end of many of my posts. Perhaps it is time to reinstate it. Thanks for the reminder.

11/15/2005 09:20:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home