Glamorouse

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

While Bec was smiling inanely wearing overalls and a daffodil yellow tee...

I was living another over-committed weekend. ***** UPDATE: I've felt weird about this post ever since writing it. Let it be known it's not like I'm trying to claim rights to the shittiest weekend ever. That this is really just a standard weekend day for any of us. I'm just whinging. Really. Indulge me. ***** Can I just say (again) how much I absolutely, purely h.a.t.e. Saturday mornings. I believe this pathological hatred stems from the fact that my albeit short life as a university student and then part of a dual-income-no-kids existence where Saturdays were the day you slept in until at least 11 but sometimes 1, then spent a couple of hours reading the papers often with friends at some gorgeous little cafe that did the best eggs and coffee, before either heading home to prepare dinner for friends or to go out for dinner with friends. Kim's life circa 1996 Friday night - binge drink with workmates, maybe smoke, get home sometime after midnight but usually before 3am Saturday 11am - rise and drink litre of water, take a couple of panadeine, go back to bed 1pm - get up, go and buy papers, maybe some croissants from this awesome French patisserie in Mosman a.l.l. afternoon - read papers 3pm - gin and tonic o'clock evening - friends over for dinner - eat massive amounts of sumptious food, drink copious amounts of red wine have a glorious time 1am (ish) - bed Kim' s life circa 2006 5am - woken by baby or eldest child. If woken by oscar it is to a refrain of "no school?" then a "yay!" then denying requests to play computer, Star Wars Lego. Drag self out of bed to put Star Wars DVD on to stop the whinging. 5.15 - re-woken to wipe eldest's bottom. (the writing is so on the wall isn't it, as to how a day will transpire if it starts wiping someone elses arse) By 7am - onto second load of washing. Kids dressed for chiropractic adventures. 8am - attempt to leave house for soccer. Stand on edge of field cheering. Pretend to care. 10ish - home. Feed Jasper morning tea. 10.15 - leave for tennis. after tennis this week we went to Warriewood Squank (its a square but skanky) and I bought the boys bribe presents for later in the day. 12.30 ish - Home for a bit. Jasper gets about 15 minutes in his cot. Torrential rain. 12.45 - Leave for eye appt. With three children. (hence earlier Star Wars Lego bribe presents) Eye appt. Jasper crawls around floor. Boys play (beautifully) in main shop. Bought bread, papers. Went home. 1.30 - Remembered b'day party. 1.45 - Left for b'day party. Hung out with people I don't know at b'day party. Oscar cried a few times. Felix looked sooo bored. 5.30pm - home. Cooked dinner. Fell asleep in Felix's bed- around 8.30. SUCKVILLE, people. That's not a Saturday, that's a week-in-one-day. The highlight of which was that I managed not to yell at anyone (much) and instigated minimal psychological damage on my children to add to their already vault-laden years-of-therapy quota.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my mother, sister, brother-in-law, tween neice and teen nephew for the long weekend ...

5/30/2006 09:25:00 pm  
Blogger Joke said...

That sounds about right. Not fun, sure, but right.

-J.

5/31/2006 02:40:00 am  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Wait! That's not Saturday; that's everyday! Substitute TaeKwonDo for tennis, substitute various other malady apts for eye apt, stick therapist in the chiro and/or birthday party slot, errand-running for square trip and you've got our everyday.

But I get to sleep in 'til 7. Makes ALL the difference in the world. Both boys sleep through, too. I swear; sleep can solve most of the world's ills.

And I've given up reading the paper. But I've started reading BOOKS again. So I guess, there goes the sleep!

And none of this is to lessen in any way what you do. It's alot, isn't it?

5/31/2006 04:51:00 am  
Blogger Suse said...

Can I just quietly ask, why are you adding two dogs to this mix? Are you insane?

(Sorry. But I'm still reeling at the puppy announcement from a few weeks ago).

5/31/2006 11:39:00 am  
Blogger Lynne@Oberon said...

The fact that weekends are often HARDER than week days is just something no one ever tells you about kids. It's the cruelest of the cruel ...

Good luck juggling it all - I hear that one day you (me, all of us) will look back on these days as some of the best of our lives. *Cue nervous giggling*

5/31/2006 11:43:00 am  
Blogger MsCellania said...

GAD! A neighbor told me this very thing today "These will be remembered as the best years of your lives!" and I wanted to smack her! As I'm standing out there in food-prep stained clothing, hair a mess, kids screaming in the background, etc.

Kim, your weekends are my weekdays. I try to shove everything into the week so we can have weekends 'off', while you do the opposite, due to work. Honey, you have got it SO MUCH harder! And I get to really sleep in on Sundays.

And I think I will just SHut UP now.
*slinking off into the sunset*

5/31/2006 12:13:00 pm  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Ah, my future awaits me.

5/31/2006 05:22:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Yeah Suse - the (first) puppy arrives on Friday. And you know how Chef said I wouldn't have to do anything. I have to go and pick it up from the other side of Sydney. In the middle of the day. On the day I work from home.

Yeah.

Feeling the love right about now.

5/31/2006 07:24:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Angie - you win.

5/31/2006 07:25:00 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

Well ever since posting that comment above I have felt BAD. Because I realise that saying "For crissakes woman you are mad!" isn't terribly loving or supportive of me, is it?

So what I now want to say is "You are one of those amazing [and scary] A-type personalities who will handle it beautifully. Especially now you've got little white happy pills to help you."

Is that nicer of me? Cos I'm having a hard time with nice these days. I'm doing my best.

6/01/2006 02:38:00 pm  
Blogger MsCellania said...

I am suffering too - comment angst. I think I will just read and not comment for awhile. I comment, I delete, I then re-comment to explain the deletion. It's all just a bit much.

Or maybe just say "Ditto"? Which I hate.

6/02/2006 05:12:00 am  
Blogger Marcia said...

You scare me. Because I'm newly married and my life of staying out until 3 is slowly slipping away. But. You're scaring me to never have kids ever.

6/02/2006 12:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home