Glamorouse

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Serves me right

I have kept all the boys teeth that have fallen out. The tooth fairy isn't such a big deal in this house, infact, Oscar seems genuinely disappointed the morning after her appearance to discover that his tooth is gone for a lousy 50c or $1. Me, indulging in my need to hang on to weird bits of my kids (I have the plastic peg that they attached to Felix's umbilical cord - and not tucked away somewhere, just floating around in my makeup draw...), have kept all of Oscar's teeth. Stupidly, they're just in a jar on the windowsill in our bathroom. Felix discovered them. The other day he said, "who's teeth are those?" I acted dumb, like, really dumb, "what teeth?" "those teeth, in your bathroom." "Oh those teeth." "Yeah, those ones. Whose are they?" "Oh, just someone's." Thinking to self: IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT "Someone dead?" "What? NO! Not someone dead." "Well, why do you have them and not the tooth fairy?" "Um, oh I don't know." Silence. A bird chirped somewhere. "So how was school?" Idiot.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joke said...

If push came to shove, you can always say the Tooth Fairy is paying for the teeth on the installment plan, and won't get possession until she's paid up.

-J.

5/07/2006 09:05:00 am  
Blogger My float said...

I have my son's actual umbilical bit that drops off after a few days. I know, that's disgusting. (I did however, throw away his first toe nail cutting, realising that one can have *too much crap*!
So I'll take on your lesson of the teeth and hide them when they start falling out.

I like Joke's solution, too. Mental note to self!

Maybe you were looking after the teeth for the tooth fairy?

5/07/2006 09:32:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rolling with laughter!

5/07/2006 11:56:00 am  
Blogger MsCellania said...

BUSTED!

And note to self: Milk teeth to be placed in stainless tin (there's an oxymoron) and placed Up High.

I kept lovely tufts of hair from first haircuts. But I have a sneakin' suspicion that the teeth won't get tossed in this house, either.

5/07/2006 12:07:00 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

I had a very similar experience.

"Mummy, why are there all those tiny little teeth in your jewellery box?"

I had one of those rare brilliant brainwaves, and said 'They're mine from when I was little. When you turn 21, if you want them, the tooth fairy gives them back.'

5/07/2006 07:58:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home