Glamorouse

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Things I’ve realised this week…

How much of my stress was actually for Chef and the imminent (now passed) opening of his own restaurant. ***** How proud I am of him as I see him in the shiny new kitchen he designed cooking food from a menu he created and seeing people (more importantly, fools like us who are breeders and therefore sacrifice a life of many nice shoes, international travel and enviable career trajectories and otherwise have no life except one with a warped focus on how many ways you can say no, bowel motions, money or lack thereof and a daily challenge of just how many things you can start and how few you can do well or hell, even come close to finishing) really enjoying themselves. ***** How much I love watching my t.h.r.e.e. kids just mucking around on the filthy floor and how if going back to work and not living with (and therefore trying to beat) the filth 24/7 is what it takes to make me stop and marvel at this normalcy, then so be it. ***** One day, soon, I will clean the inside of our car. The filth of which is something I am actually embarrassed by. I find this curious as the household crap is something I just find irritating and a great source of feeling bitter and resentful toward the universe. In the car however, the filth is just plain embarrassing. ***** How I’ve only been gone from work for four months and that it’s taken being back for a whole month for me to realise just how out of sync I am with it – how I haven’t got back into my work groove in terms of my thinking. ***** How when I’m tired, hell, even when I’m not, I mix my metaphors. Badly. ***** Current expressions used way too often: Going off like a frog in a sock Poppet Moppet Sprogget Holy snapping* duckshit Awesome Dude Buddy * corrected from "flapping" because enough already!

9 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

I thought it was SNAPPING not FLAPPING.

God I'm so confused. But you still can't have Annette Bening. (Can you tell it's 5.45pm and I've opened the wine?)

3/25/2006 05:45:00 pm  
Blogger Joke said...

Oddly enough, my wife stands opposite you re. residential vs. automotive filth. Is this like how water draining goes one way in the northern hemisphere and the opposite way in the southern?

-J.

P.S. Congratulations to Chef. Epochs ago I worked as a line cook (grill station & garde manger, FWIW) and that is some ridiculously hard work.

3/25/2006 06:51:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Yes - he's been there since about 8am today. It's 7.30 now and I don't expect to see him for some hours yet. Still, I guess there is some solace (gratification?) that his efforts and hours are now being sunk into something that is partially his.

Suse - did you see my comment about mixing metaphors...or maybe I should have said just getting them plain wrong.

Snapping is much better.

3/25/2006 07:30:00 pm  
Blogger blackbird said...

holy flapping duckshit, dude, I'd like to know how the opening went?
any reviews?
was chef happy?

also -
Annette Bening, was, and always will be MINE.

Suse has been at the wine.

3/25/2006 10:34:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

Shit, Kim. I can't leave you alone for a moment, can I?
Yes. Suse it IS holy SNAPPING duckshit and it you say both possibilities out loud you will see just how inferior flapping is. In this context.
Although, if I were a duck I would undoubtedly appreciate both verbs equally.
Suse. Does this go any way towards answering your query about whether I am brainy enough to make your turning list?
Because me? And the ducks? We're not Commonwealth Games material. We just like our words to earn their keep.
That's all.

3/26/2006 12:43:00 am  
Blogger Suse said...

You have won me. Anyone who can instantly recognise the superior qualities of snapping over flapping has got it.

How I love words.

And you of course, Bec.

3/26/2006 11:11:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

Hands off Suse, Bec. I found her first.

3/26/2006 01:14:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

I just realised that the incorrect flapping over snapping had occurred due to Bec's dam-busting period and the subsequent pant flapping.

3/26/2006 01:28:00 pm  
Blogger Lynne@Oberon said...

I agree with the dirty car thing. My kids have their afternoon snack in the car on the way home from work/day care and I have yet to find some sort of acceptable food that does not create crumbs and/or sticky hands - both of which leave their mark in my car. I hate having a dirty car ... yet I have a filthy car.
Amen about the not in sync with work comment as well. I have not been in the groove at work for a while now. When I think about it I don't really think I should have returned after baby no.2.

PS. How about a compromise and make it SLAPPING DUCKSHIT ??! ;)

3/26/2006 08:44:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home