Glamorouse

Monday, September 12, 2005

the wheels on the bus

Yes, it has been some time, weeks even since my last tirade about the rude, selfish, devil spawn that live on the Northern Beaches and catch whichever bus I am catching. Today, at 35 weeks pregnant, regularly receiving gasps from people when they ask how much longer I've got to go and when I reply truthfully, enduring them sucking in a breath so deep it screams, 'man, you look like you should have dropped yesterday', I had to stand the.entire.way.from.Narrabeen.to.the.city. Now sure, the woman with the ginormous breasts (I can say that because I am of like kind) offered her seat after she'd finished reading the Manly Daily, which prompted the man in a home knitted jumper next to her to offer his seat, to which I naturally replied, out of sheer fury melted onto blind pride, "No, I.am.fine. I do not want your seat." and when they both - so earnestly - after making me stand half way and being soooo caring said, "are you sure?" I replied, in the most you-heathen-scum-may-you-burn-in-hell tone I could muster without tears or tirade, "yes. Yes I am sure." Now while you all snigger and mutter at my damn stupid foolish pride. Answer me this. If someone does not have it in their being to see a heavily pregnant woman getting on a bus and therefore automatically offer their seat, do you really want their seat when about half way into the hour journey they either decide they're not too fat and/or lazy to stand the remainder of the trip or the guilt just gets too much for them? I don't want pity. I don't want charity. I want common human decency to prevail. Am I asking too much? Really? Thought so. Anyway, the day was so much more productive when fuelled by the cold hard anger only a pregnant woman knows.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

did you see this today? must be something in the air...http://www.smh.com.au/news/heckler/taking-a-back-seat-to-an-impossible-problem/2005/09/12/1126377254794.html

9/13/2005 11:00:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home