Glamorouse

Friday, May 12, 2006

Youth is Like a Bird: the Pea Princess, age 8, she writes.

Pea Princess had a substitute teacher this week who taught a unit called Forever Young. They had to write a poem about the topic. Here's hers. Youth is like a bird, It's free I've heard. It's not stuck in a cage, Or (like a book) stuck in a page. But adult-hood is coming near, So goodbye friends And goodbye fear. At breakfast this morning she produced this (with instructions to us all that we must not laugh) and explained to her little brother that the goodbye fear part meant: "You know how we're scared of cockroaches and Mum and Dad aren't scared of cockroaches? That's because we're kids and they're grown ups." I am so glad she sees us as fearless. There's plenty of time for the reality. Mtc Bec

10 Comments:

Blogger Badger said...

Aw! The Pea Princess is awesome. Let me know if you ever want to trade 8 year old girl children, because I have one I'm looking to offload, at least temporarily.

5/12/2006 10:45:00 am  
Blogger Manhattan Mama said...

So what I want to know is how you're not scared of cockroaches...

5/12/2006 11:25:00 am  
Blogger Bec said...

I don't know what makes me more proud - the poem or the punctuation.

My theory about cockroaches, Manhattan Mama, is that I didn't grow up with them so was an adult before I met my first one.

5/12/2006 12:12:00 pm  
Blogger My float said...

Are you sure she's 8? Really? More like 8 going on 65! It's a beautiful poem.

5/12/2006 12:13:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

To my shame, I actually quizzed her abotu whether it was copied from what the teacher said, because I couldn't quite beleive it either. Anyway, shutting up now for fear of going all pageant mummy...

5/12/2006 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Most impressive! I, too, was mightily impressed about the punctuation. she has a great grasp of content,too. Nicely Done, Pea Princess!

5/12/2006 12:49:00 pm  
Blogger My float said...

You, paegant mummy?? Hahahaha. Like the pea princess would let you. She'd cut you down before you could blink.

5/12/2006 01:01:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

"I don't know what makes me more proud - the poem or the punctuation."

Bec, it's comments like those that are just one part of why I love you.

MM - there's no time to fear cockroaches when you live in Sydney.

And Bec, the brain of your daughter scares me. Just like the eyes of your other daughter. Their combined potential - for anything - is to massive to actually contemplate.

5/12/2006 02:20:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

TOO! TOO massive. G'ah.

5/12/2006 03:55:00 pm  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

No shit. Now that I have a child, I'm more fearful than I've ever been before!

5/13/2006 06:49:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home