Friday, April 28, 2006

"Well it was black dear, and very loose..." and other joys of a hospital emergency dept...

We are home. The story: Oscar came in to us at midnight on Wednesday night and with one croup-like cough descended into respiratory distress. This folks, is called spasmodic croup - when you simply bypass the seal-like sounding cough and go straight for a stridor and significantly restricted airway. I love that my kids don't do anything by halves. We've been there many times before, (but not for a few years) so I Ventolined and Panadoled and got back to sleep around 1.30. He woke at 3-3.30 much worse so we high-tailed it to Mona Vale Hospital. Someone was looking after us as there was no one in the waiting room and we went straight in (this breaks our run of hospital visits - the last three starting with minimum 3 hour waits in waiting room) - although I'm sure something about a kid with a stridor as bad as Oscar makes me suspect we would have been taken straight in regardless. Typical, no audience for my moment of high-drama. Anyway, a dose of steroids, two nebulisers of ventolin and one of adrenalin and we were finally breathing easy (it was now around 4.30). But it turns out adrenalin can have a rebound effect, whereby the airway restriction comes back and with more severity than it had originally. I'm kinda glad they didn't fill me in on that little side-effect until after the event and critical danger 4-hour period had passed event free. Beside us was Marjorie with her severe pain, black loose stools and an ER specialist informing her he'd like to look at her back passage. Something I'm sure ol' Marjorie hasn't heard for some years. Although then again, perhaps that's something we all have to look forward to when we're 78... On the other side was Robert, 68, who returned home from dinner last night, checked his mailbox, slipped and dislocated his patella. He has a bowel motion every morning at 7 apparently. diagonally across from us was Sidney, he just seemed to vomit bile every hour or so, with more severity if they mentioned anything about him going home. It turns out this was his TWENTY SEVENTH admission for cyclical vomiting. Now there's a viscous cycle. Someone died just before we arrived. The entire night staff HATE one of the doctors and spent the better part of an hour talking about just how many people's lives they'd saved from her dirty "lesbian butch" clutches. All in all, it was a great time. Only beaten by discovering that Oscar really did need to be admitted and we really did need to wait to see the paediatrician (hospitals, the waiting, WHY????). We were given a gate pass (I have a new found understanding of the excitement and freedom felt by boarders at my school when granted similar leave) to be back by six, - but the deal was he had to stay overnight last night incase it returned once more. So Oscar fell asleep at 7.30 and didn't wake until 4 when he wanted to go home, have breakfast and play the hospital's Playstation. He didn't cough ONCE. Not even for effect. I slept for about 2 hours. In there. Somewhere. My neck is killing me and I'm in that realm of tiredness and parental relief where I could either cry or vomit and both would be OK with me. You would never know he'd been in hospital or struggling for breath, although yesterday he was very pale and this afternoon is starting to look a bit washed out as the sun goes down. His mother however, is perfecting her wreck of the Hesperus look way more than usual.


Blogger Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

Hope you both get a better night, blossom. Gentle hugs to the Ogga boy (and you) from me.

I'm in Dorrigo until tomorrow - it's a long, long story and i probably won't get to blog it until next week - but trust me, it's a ripper, folks.

And hey, did you see Manhattan Mama is back? Long time no see, lady...

4/28/2006 06:46:00 pm  
Blogger My float said...

What a couple of days! And how close DID you get to the other inhabitants of the ER (a little too close by the sounds of things!)

On the bright side, at least Oscar is feeling better. You, however, need to sleep for a week.

4/28/2006 07:22:00 pm  
Blogger Surfing Free said...

So glad it was only one night in the horse-piddle. Good luck getting some catch-up rest on the weekend :)

4/28/2006 07:22:00 pm  
Blogger blackbird said...

Anyway, a dose of steroids, two nebulisers of ventolin and one of adrenalin...

ohmyohmyohmy - I do know that routine!

I can feel the sympathetic stress creeping up in my throat.

wreck of the Hesperus look....


One just needs to wring oneself out after such and episode. By the time we get home I feel like I should have stayed and been admitted.

May you both recover posthaste.

4/28/2006 09:56:00 pm  
Blogger MsCellania said...

I'm sure this was much less fun than it sounds. HA!

I now know what my mother went through. I'm glad to be only visiting it vicariously, but am sorry it's your child I'm reading about.

I'd rather have a broom closet sized private room than a normal sized shared room, any old day of the week. And sure, go ahead and store the brooms in there! They are quieter than every roommate I've ever had the sincere distate of meeting. My mother once had a Russian guy, who farted and belched nonstop, and gave exclamations of joy (or something - who knows - it was in Russian) and had many, many noisy visitors. He also took great joy in peeing All Over Their Shared Bathroom! I called in housekeeping every time I went there. Made them wash down the bathroom ceiling to floor. The cleaning staff pretended not to know English, so I switched to Spanish. HA! Thankfully, he was only there a little over 2 days.

Anyway, I'm glad all is better and you're back - even though a shadow of your former self. And thank god your young-un is perking up. What in the heck is it about RAD these days?!

4/29/2006 05:47:00 am  
Anonymous sueeeus said...

Oh dear. Am glad all is well with your Oscar. You poor frazzled thing. Rest up, and drink lots of something soothing!

4/29/2006 02:15:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home