Glamorouse

Sunday, November 27, 2005

It's here, it's finally here...

THE KITCHEN. Some of you already know how long we have been waiting for this to happen. Forget the first design consultation back in June. Forget the complete re-design consultation in August. Forget the Final Order Confirmation in September... In reality, this kitchen has been in-waiting ever since the twins started crawling and we realised that, in our wildest dreams, this little house could not sustain five mobile humans in its then configuration. They crawled pretty early (much to the surprise of the baby health nurse who kept insisting on 'age-adjusting' them back three weeks because they were born at 37 weeks instead of 40 which? Hello? IS full-term for twins [especially twins who EACH weighed over 3kg or 7 pounds and had 9 and 10 Apgar scores; shit I hated that nurse, look how parenthetical she's made me!]) so that means almost three long years have passed during which time the Prof and I have considered:
  1. getting a new house
  2. turning bedroom 3 into a kitchen and knocking out a wall
  3. getting a new house
  4. turning bedroom 3 into a lounge and retaining the wall (did it)
  5. leaving three children to sleep together in one room forever because pre-twins, the Pea Princess used to hit us with her 'I'm the only one who has to sleep aloooooone' cry at bedtime
  6. leaving three children to sleep together forever as punishment for the Pea Princess daring to grow older and need her own space (dammit, why can't the Mummy get HER own room, hmmm?)
  7. getting a new house
  8. renting a new house and keeping this one to rent out to other, smaller families
  9. adding a new storey
  10. getting a new house, and, finally
  11. getting a new kitchen at the opposite end of the room it was in, bashing out the back wall, currently clogged by old kitchen, creating masses of space and light and a Tardis-like effect where suddenly it becomes feasible to have kitchen dining and lounge all in one 5m by 4m room...

Looking back, and knowing the Prof and myself fairly well by now, I am not really surprised that we took the most idealistic approach and made it happen by sheer willpower. Oh, and more debt.

The surprising thing is, it appears to be working.

I feel my adjectival skills are not up to the task of describing the Jack London snow white-ness of the cabinets, the dwarvish mithril silver of the handles, the lionwitchwardrobe-ness of the size of the corner pantry... So I will just promise to get new batteries into the digital camera today, and post a proper update a little later on.

mtc

Bec

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Construction is so stressful, but I'm jealous! I can't wait to own a home and remodel it.

11/27/2005 07:12:00 am  
Blogger kenju said...

Pictures are definitely in order!


Michele sent me.

11/27/2005 07:33:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get your batteries quickly! your twins were over 3kgs...each? OMG! is it the water in AUS??? here via Michele's this time!

11/27/2005 07:33:00 am  
Blogger craziequeen said...

'Jack London snow white-ness of the cabinets'

won't last with all those kids....

:-)

cq
Michele sent me....

11/27/2005 07:40:00 am  
Blogger Aginoth said...

We eagerly await the pictures :o)

Michelle sent me

11/27/2005 07:53:00 am  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Ooh, new kitchen. My dream...
Michele sent me.

11/27/2005 08:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here via Michele's. It's quite an entertaining portrayal. Cheers and congrats!

11/27/2005 08:13:00 am  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Can't wait to see the pictures...you have me deeply intrigued!! I'm here from Michele today, butI'm coming back!!! I LOVE to see NEW kichens!

11/27/2005 08:18:00 am  
Blogger kenju said...

Bec, I'd love to see your beaches. I have seen Bondi Beach and a few others on the travel channel, and they look wonderful! Lucky you - to be heading into summer!

11/27/2005 08:22:00 am  
Blogger dena said...

I'll be checking back to see the pictures. How wonderful to have it! I've been bugging my hubby about the need for new cabinets and counters, but he'd rather just move.

visiting from michele's

11/27/2005 08:29:00 am  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Your adjectival skills are just fine...I almost feel as if I'm right there in the middle of the room. Your excitement is palpable - and richly deserved.

I can't wait to see the photos.

11/27/2005 08:34:00 am  
Blogger craziequeen said...

I'm back from Michele's...

get batteries!

cq

11/27/2005 08:51:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

No Mar, Bec and I are simply breeders.

Bec - are you saying that after all that, it's in and functional - as in already in operation?

craziequeen - I too have white snow-like cupboards with two children intent on destroying the house or at least having it perpetually look neglected and suitable for a DOCs visit purely on hygiene issues - they are the easiest thing to keep clean in the entire house. Bizarre hey.

11/27/2005 11:34:00 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

pictures, pictures, pictures! My crappy kitchen and I are living vicariously through you!!

11/27/2005 06:48:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

thanks Carmi et al.
I'm just delighted to get Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Jack London and whoever wrote Dr Who all into one set of kitchen references.

11/27/2005 10:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home