Glamorouse

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Show & Tell

Behold, Bec and my favourite:and We each have deep, precious childhood memories of the mighty Violet Crumble. I will leave Bec to share hers, but we cross over, snap and jinx each other on how they must be eaten: - the chocolate sucked off or bitten off and then melted in the mouth as a flat piece of chocolate - the honeycomb sucked on so the softer, holier bit dissolves, leaving the hard side. As a child I used to seriously contemplate ditching the hard piece of honeycomb, like when you'd freeze a yoghurt or your own iceblocks and one part would be creamy and smooth and the other icy and yuk. But come on, its a Violet Crumble. None is to be wasted. HOWEVER - they must always be consumed as photographed above - from the original bag of Violet Crumble cubes, NOT he individually wrapped bar. It's bad enough Vegemite, Aeroplane Jelly and Arnotts biscuits are now owned by foreign companies, some things must remain pure to their history. But now, I must talk for myself. I do have a very soft spot for the proper fancy chocolates you buy by the kilo. I love cherry liquers, orange peel coated in dark dark chocolate, smooth creamy fillings in cute little shapes, you name it. There is something about the quality, but its also the anticipation and presentation. The white gloved selector, the little silver tray, the boxing, the ribbon. I love it all. But then, I also have a serious hankering for these: They're new on the market, as in, probably been around for about a year? But OH MY GOD. I tried to take a photo of the inside, but it was all blurry and before I could try again I'd eaten it. Before this I was a Twix girl, but this, this surpasses Twix by a long shot. Basically it's a middle of soft dense whipped chocolate (not light like a Milky Way) surrounded by biscuit then a layer of caramel and then coated in chocolate. See. SO GOOD. I used to have to eat chocolate every single day. Then I read If not dieting then what? which completely revolutionised my life and now I am one of those people that loves chocolate but stops when I've had enough, which some days is one piece, others a packet. I still find it remarkable that I am now one of those people that can have chocolate in the house and not have to eat it. I do have to hide it because well, there are children and a husband that will vacuum any 'treat' food on sight, regardless of desire, need or satiation. So there you have it, Bec - you need to step in with your side of the Violet Crumble story. And I am off to see everyone elses! ***UPDATE*** Others added on perusing everyone elses and realising the things I forgot: Jaffas Freckles Cadbury Fruit & Nut Cherry Ripes Bountys If I can - I will source pics of these tomorrow...

14 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

Suse sent me a couple of VC bars - amazing yes, but I can see how they would be perfect in cube form.

Does Boost have some kind of stimulant in it?

4/02/2006 12:29:00 am  
Blogger Lauri said...

The chocolate definitely comes off first! lol! And we only have the bars of Violet Crumble here (in Texas anyway). I've never seen the cubes...they look like the perfect size!

4/02/2006 02:57:00 am  
Blogger MsCellania said...

ACK! I can see that I will have to shop for chocolates during my shopping trip today.

A GF from NZ sent me some Crunchies (name might be wrong) which sounds like the VC. I was going to savor them slowly, but I ripped off the wrappers and wolfed them down in 10 minutes flat. Maybe I ought to get that book you are referring to. I have also scooted down the stairs on my fanny less than 24 hours after major surgery, in desperate search of anything chocolate. And then had to lie on the kitchen floor, nearly fainting from pain. Was it worth it? You betchya!

4/02/2006 02:36:00 am  
Blogger Badger said...

Have I mentioned how unfair it is that y'all have all the good candy?

And I prefer Crunchie to VC but then I've never had the cubes.

4/02/2006 03:19:00 am  
Blogger Joke said...

I'm on the side of VCs. The caramelized sugar thing really hits me where I live. Naturally, since SoFla is as far away from Australia as can be managed (if I tried to get further away from Bec & Kim, I'd only get closer) the local Expats R Us for homesick Aussies carries them for a price that would make the average heroin dealer reconsider his vocational decision.

-J.

4/02/2006 07:26:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

Ahh Joke - like Reeses Peanut Cups for us. At about AU$4-5 for two, they are quite a rare - but OH MY GOD so good - treat.

4/02/2006 07:55:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

And the Crunchie vs the Violet Crumble? There is NO competitiong. VCs win all the way. The Crunchie is too refined, the honeycomb too cooked/fake - you gotta go the original every time.

4/02/2006 07:56:00 am  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I love that it's a JUMBO bag.

4/02/2006 08:29:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

naturally.

4/02/2006 10:19:00 am  
Blogger Badger said...

Yeah but the VC is soooo sweet it makes my colon retract into my chest cavity. Whereas the Crunchie is ... less sweet.

It's a matter of survival, is what I'm saying.

4/02/2006 10:38:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

OK. If it's a question of survival. And I do hear you on the sweetness factor - that's where the love of ultra-dark choc, maybe coating a piece of orange rind or similar comes into play...or the Boost, a few (gagillion) jaffas etc...

Hey Blackbird - no, no stimulant in Boost. Just boost for the sake of how amazing its chocolatey, caramely goodness is.

4/02/2006 01:10:00 pm  
Blogger My float said...

My personal VC rule: crunch off all the chocolate in order - top, bottom, the hard side, then let the gooey leftover melt in your mouth. Voila. Time for another!

4/02/2006 01:22:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

How marvellous to see homage to the Violet Crumble Bar (not Hoadley's Violet Crumble Bar any more). I am in my seventh decade and still the pictures aren't the pictures without the Violet Crumble. And I have to say I like mine in a bar - not pre chopped in a packet. The delight is in sinking one's teeth into the firm but crunchy and easy to sink into honeycomb. Aaaah! Delight!

4/02/2006 08:03:00 pm  
Blogger Lynne@Oberon said...

I also looove the Violet Crumble, but I have problems with it cutting the roof of my mouth. I know it's something to do with my inability to just chew it (fear of sugar around the teeth and eventual rotting of teeth, and toothless old hag look) so I have to suck it and it's all spikey when you suck it. Oh, yeah - it's an issue people!

4/03/2006 07:58:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home