Glamorouse

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ode to ikea

My sister-in-law and her hubbie reckon Ikea is Swedish for fucking pain in the arse. I can not begin to explain just how far at the other end of the spectrum I am teetering. As someone who is fiercely houseproud (and yet, live in a permanent state of grime, gunge and general disarray) Ikea in my world is Swedish for heaven on earth. Except the building it yourself part, but hell, isn't that why you get married? So, the current inventory in our house of Ikea products:
  • Lounge (which I washed on the weekend - cushion covers in the machine, arms on lounge by hand - then dragged bases out onto back veranda to dry)
  • Lots of Ivar shelving, which I'm bored of as we've had it for about 9 years and is about to be relegated to the garage for storing camping gear and Vacola jars.
  • two expedite shelving units - one in boys room, one in process of being mounting on wall in new home office location (but in the wrong place. . .another post in itself)
  • wardrobe in baby's room
  • bedside tables in our room (again v. bored with them as they're 9yrs old and are of wire basket/uni student variety)
  • two long tall units for storing CDs/DVDs/xbox games
  • Grundtal metal shelving in kitchen, and laundry inlcuding spice rack, magnetic knife bar, paper dispenser
  • Bedding and cushions on 'daybed' in baby's room
  • hanging clothes storage in boys room and baby's room
  • storage boxes for home office, boys toys and baby's room
  • dining room chairs (inherited, don't go with anything in house, not very comfortable but cheap - ie free - and there's 8 of them)
  • bath mats and other sundry household items like plastic containers, chopping boards, spice jars etc.

So you see, without Ikea we would still be completely furnished with mismatched hand-me-downs and stuck in a uni-student realm all the while having kids and supposedly living the middle class dream...

Sure, I want a house packed with $12,000 lounges from Poliform, dining tables from Dattner, and funky 'pieces' from Space or other groovy funky look-how-successful we are kinda shops, but it just ain't going to happen. So happy Swedish land we are.

6 Comments:

Blogger doug said...

I'm back, and whoo YAY for your IKEA shopping spree. I did the same last year to furnish a space!

I wanted to add to my previous post and directive from M though, and will do so here with a shameless plug:

PS: "Boobie-Thon 2005" is coming.... check the link below or my site for info, and show your support in more ways than one heheheh, Breast Cancer Awareness and this year the Red Cross gets supported for Hurricane Relief Efforts - the Blogging Community at it's finest at work here...... Women and Men welcome to submit.. donate your time, your money or an image and a link to spread the word!

Thanks! http://www.boobiethon.com

" i donated - will you?"

ok, its like 4 am here in California, I really should go to bed I suppose..... give me a visit some time and I will B-Roll you when my links go active this week!

9/27/2005 08:56:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

OK Doug - you're catching me at a moment of tired mega-pregnant crankiness and maybe I'm just missing the whole Californian good-times vibe, but I've been to your blog and basically it scares me. All the fonts, the formatting, and ...the Boobie-Thon 2005. Noble...I guess...except for the image part and the one image I clicked on that just did nothing to improve my frame of mind and just irritated me even more. So good luck with it, may every exhibitionist flash for a good cause.

9/27/2005 09:09:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

Hey Doug, what she said.
I'm sure you're really a nice person but it's just not polite to wander around the internet asking people to expose themselves. Think about it this way, if you were doing it in real life you'd be arrested.
So be a dear and leave, ok?

9/27/2005 09:36:00 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

ps, since between us we have breastfeed nearly six children, our boobs have been plenty exposed already, thanks.
pps. since my mother died of breast cancer, the more I think about you Doug the more you give me the shits. Piss off and take your psychopathic mug shot with you.

9/27/2005 09:38:00 pm  
Blogger KPB said...

Bec, I love you. Not in that way, but I know you know that.

9/28/2005 07:00:00 am  
Blogger dena said...

I love IKEA too. So much so that I've been scanning their website like crazy lately, trying to decide what new thing to do wtih my 4-year-old's bedrroom. That place is heavenly!

9/28/2005 09:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home