Glamorouse

Saturday, September 24, 2005

I want to write a book called "Travel With Children: Are You Fucking Insane?"

They look so normal here, don't they? They're so happy, and affectionate, and adorable. I swear if I hadn't given birth to them I'd have to immediately adopt. But. This picture is not normal, it's extraordinary and why? Because it was taken at the END of the day trip to the Blue Mountains and despite being together in the car and being dragged to several destinations of largely adult interest and being asked to give up a promised walk to a waterfall when we realised how steep was the slope down, and how heavy would be the parental carrying task going back up; despite all this, they smile. So why do I use this picture under this post's very negative heading? As they say, it's the exception that proves the rule and The Rule Is That Holidays With Children Are More Work-Better Scenery. And why do I post this today? Because today I have again succumbed to the annual need to have something to get me through the last dire three months of the year: I have booked the January holiday beach house. And, crikey, as I tremble at the thought of yet another delusionally optimistic leap into the land of More Work-Better Scenery, I am going to hold this picture close to my heart. If they can smile after giving up the waterfall, the least I can do is send off the cheque for the deposit on their beach holiday. mtc bec

8 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

PS- Kim, my excuse for the sudden blast of pics is that I've just discovered Picasa lets you blog directly from writing a caption under a picture on your hard drive. Plus, we've been way too unsexily texty lately, have we not? It seems to me this is the weary blog equivalent of lacy lingerie.
That image is, of course, particularly insensitive to a woman in your massively advanced state of incubation... But no doubt you'll be back in your g-strings and camisoles in a week or two!

9/24/2005 10:50:00 pm  
Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me to you, Bec (and Kim too, of course)

Good luck with the vacation this year. I'm sure kids as angelic looking as yours would never cause any trouble. LOL

9/24/2005 11:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the good times...good times. LOL Michele sent me. Great blog!

9/24/2005 11:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, visiting from Michele's today. Your kids are so cute! I love all the pics on your site. Best of luck with the travels. =)

9/24/2005 11:47:00 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

Awwwww, they look so sweet! But, I must agree, traveling with a hubby and one child makes me want to write that same book.

Michele sent me!

9/25/2005 12:02:00 am  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Bec, from Wisconsin. Thanks for visiting my site. I'll let you know if and when Molly pulls a hammie. Perhaps I'll record it and put it on the internet. ;-)

Great post, by the way, preceded by a most excellent headline.

9/25/2005 01:11:00 am  
Blogger marlynn said...

I would definitely buy that book! :)

Cute kids. Good luck on the next vacation. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

9/25/2005 04:22:00 am  
Blogger KPB said...

The best holiday involves sand, beach and basically doing nothing. Remember, any notion of bush walking must be abandoned at its very insemination.

9/25/2005 08:24:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home